Saturday, January 8, 2011

Some of my favorite things...

There have been so many fun, different things to experience since I've been here in New Zealand! Here's a list of some of my favorite New Zealand things that I've gotten to try and/or experience:



  • Hokey Pokey ice cream! Their ice cream is so creamy and yummy to the tummy! This kind of ice cream has bits of honeycomb in it!
  • Yellow kiwis. So much better and sweeter than the green ones.
  • Marmite. Now, Marmite didn't taste all that great to me, but it was a funny experience watching all the girls apprehensively try this yeast spread. Kids here grow up eating this stuff on buttered toast. It smells horrid! And it tastes very bitter and really salty. Just the kind of thing you want early in the morning, yeah?!
  • Driving on the left side of the road. It messes me up! Turning right and left especially confuses me sometimes. Jess and I almost got hit one day when crossing the road because we just forgot which way to look for oncoming traffic (no parental worry needed, we'll be more careful). Ha ha and sometimes I freak out because I see a car with no driver! But then I just realize they're on the other side. :)
  • New Zealand words/phrases. Togs=bathing suits. Jandals=sandals. "Crikey!" "Have a go at it." Pakeha=white person. "And a pukeko in a ponga tree!" (we learned the 12 Days of Christmas song, NZ style). Te rakau=the wooden sticks that the Maori use to play those wooden stick games...the ones we always do at the PCC.
  • The New Zealand accent. Phyllis has more of an English accent than a true New Zealand accent or Maori accent. Jessica and I are working on our accents, though, and they're going to be awesome when we get home!

1 comment:

  1. Those Look like SO Much Fun!! Love yah Bean! Keep experiencing some way awesome stuff! Left side of the road is always very strange. . . haha! I love that you will not 'see a driver' Sounds like this is going to be something you will ALWAYS remember! Thanks for blogging about it. :) Love yah!

    ReplyDelete